Student Financial Services Counselors are
committed to providing superior customer service while being cross-trained to
counsel in all areas of financial aid such as filing the FAFSA, applying for student
loans, completing the verification process, and payment options/student
accounts. SFS Counselors strive to
exceed the expectations of our Belmont students and families while working to
create a positive student experience toward assisting all students in obtaining
a Belmont education.
The SFS Verification Counselor position is responsible for the
management, analyzation, and direction of the flow of data from/to the
institution and communication with students regarding outstanding documents
needed to complete financial aid package. The position will work closely with
the Director, Associate Director and Assistant Director of Financial Aid.
Manage the day-to-day administration of the Federal Verification Process
internally and externally. The position is also responsible for the following
- Manage, analyze and audit all Federal Tax Returns/Transcripts, W-2's, and Self-reported types of income as required by the Department of Education. Any adjustment to the tax return information in relation to the data provided on the FAFSA must be reported to the Department of Education for update and correction as it may effect a student’s financial aid eligibility and award.
- Manage and communicate all email correspondence with students selected for verification, including all missing documents in order to satisfy the verification requirements prior to audit.
- Individual will be the primary point of contact and manage all communication and direction pertaining to the verification process with the third party vendor (EdAmerica).Responsible for all communication, training, and process evaluation for third party partner.
- Audit and determine any changes to financial data into the Federal U.S. Department of Education Database to generate an updated Student Aid Report (SAR) in order to determine federal eligibility and complete the financial aid awarding process.
- Manage and compile student data changes internally and from third party partner for weekly reports to the Information Specialist for all completed student verification in order to seamlessly keep the awarding process up to date for all eligible students and for any adjustments to prior financial aid eligibility.
- Complete the Federal Return of Title IV (R2T4) analysis to determine Title IV eligibility on all students withdrawing with Title IV funds (Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Direct Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, and Graduate PLUS Loans).
- Manage and create all verification forms via the Dynamic Forms software platform.
- Responsible for providing all required verification/tax documents as part of the annual university audit.
- Manage the scanning and indexing of all completed verification documents into App-Extender software.
- Lead various projects/training related to Title IV regulations and processes.
- Counsel and educate both prospective and current Belmont students and families on the financial aid expectations/commitments that are associated with financial aid eligibility and tuition.
- Attend yearly online and in-person training to stay up to date on changes to verification process. Participate in professional organizations including attendance of professional conferences (TASFAA, SASFAA, NASFAA).